Saturday, December 16, 2006

THESE ARE A FEW OF MY FAVOURITE THINGS PART 1

Christmas is always such a fun time of year for me. Not only because I get to shop for gifts or make things for the people I love but it's a time to look back on some of the things that mean allot to me also.
Over the years I have received allot of gifts. Our families on both sides bless us incredibly with very generous gifts every Christmas. But sometimes there's that one gift that you never forget because it has sentimental value. One of those gifts that bring memories flooding back in an instant. See this little teapot? This is one of those gifts. This is one of my favourite things. This little teapot is jam packed with memories. My mother-in-law aquired this teapot a very long time ago. Back when colored lights were the only thing you put on your tree and the kids put the decorations all in one place (they still do this at my house. It's obviously something you outgrow.) I think that's about when she got this teapot. Years past and this little teapot was always front and center on the tree. It was a favourite ornament back then too.
Right about the time I came into the family, mom had started to use white lights on the tree and had a color theme with the decorations. If I remember correctly, it was peach. It's simply stunning the decorating mom can do. When you saw her decorated Christmas tree you'd think you stepped into Christmas Tree Heaven. Peach was in back then. But now what were they to do with this little red teapot. Because of tradition, the little red teapot had to go on the tree but it didn't match anything and stuck out like a sore thumb. They agreed it could go at the back of the tree so at least it would be on it. Well, that may have been the consensus but Dwain just wasn't satisfied. Dwain made it his Christmas mission to sneak that little teapot back front and center on the tree whenever he had the chance. Mom would put it back and when she wasn't looking he'd sneak it back in the front again. I can only imagine the silliness that was going on. That inside sort of laughter that's hard to contain because you're being such a brat. Mom must have had her share of laughs about it too.
About six years ago, mom past this ornament down to Dwain and I. When she gave it to us, I remember we all reminisced about the good old days with that little teapot. Today this little teapot is back front and center on our tree every Christmas! It's the last ornament to go on the tree and Dwain is the one that puts it on. We keep it in a real mini treasure box lined with velvet. About the second year we had it I surprised Dwain with one of those rotating light sockets. When he put the Teapot on the turning hook we just sat back and laughed ourselves silly as we watched it turn on the tree. It really wasn't that funny but it sure was to us! Oh Little Teapot!! You bring a Happiness!!

1 comment:

Lovella ♥ said...

hey Lori, tell Dwain that I have the little matching pot. I'll put it in my will for him. Mine came from great Aunt Agatha (my mom's aunt). I'm looking forward to knowing what your other favorite things are. It was great seeing you and your kids last night.