Tuesday, January 9, 2007

IT'S BEEN AWHILE

Hello once again to all my faithful readers! Do I have any of those! I'd love it if you'd leave me a comment sometime. Keeps me inspired to keep on bloggin. Call me crazy but it's quite exciting when I see that someone has left me a comment.
So what to blog about today! Well, we are finished our first week in 2007 and I was thinking about how old I was and it hit me. This year will mark the year that I have officially been out of school as long as I was in. I feel like I just graduated. I mean I totally feel that way! (But then, I look at some old photos and I am quickly brought back to reality!
Well, it looks like another crazy storm is coming in to greet us. We are expected to get 15cm of snow tonite. The boys are excited so I hope it's still here when we wake up in morning.
This morning the boys went for one of their immunization shots. Ryan chose Jacob to go first. Smart for 5 years old hey!! Well, I expected a little more drama from Jacob but he didn't even move. The nurse said it's just gonna be a little poke Ok Jacob?! He says OK! and it was done. Ryan on the other hand wasn't as calm. I am convinced all the crying out was all drama because when the needle went in he didn't even flinch and when we told him it was done he just stopped and looked like he felt a little silly. He didn't even know he had already gotten the poke. All in all they were brave. How bad is it when your kinda glad you yourself didn't have to get one!!

So we had a nice afternoon this week and Dwain's brother came by to burn his Christmas tree and a few things and decided to stick around for awhile and play with Ryan. Ryan got some sidewalk chalk for Christmas and was eager to try it out. So was Uncle Ken. They drew a race track on the pavement to ride bikes on and Uncle Ken continued to add a few artistic touches while Ryan rode around. Here is a picture


Well if you've read my previous blog entries you will remember that I started a quilting club as well as started teaching on the side. Well so far I have had 2 students and really look forward to getting more. My first student was my friend Fiona. I haven't been able to show her masterpiece because it was a Christmas present and I had to let her post it on her blog first so as not to spoil the surprise. I really enjoyed this project as it was my first time working with photos in a quilt. It turned out amazing. Well done Fi! You did the old "Friday night" quilters proud!! Here's a picture of the proud new owners and one of the creator! Fiona made this a rag quilt on one side as seen to the left and like a regular scrappy quilt on the right. Here's a close up of what the ragged side looks like.
My next student was a friend of my sister Tammy. Karen also made a beautiful rag quilt. She went with a woven cotton so it feels soft like flannel. Very beautiful! I'd like to have this one for my own! Karen got a new sewing machine for Christmas so I hope I'll get to make another one with her sometime. Well done Karen!!
This week we had a new addition to my extended family. Little Eligh Benjamin was born on January 7th in Texas. Congratulations to the proud new parents Ben and Romay! You have just received one of God's greatest gifts! May God bless you as parents as you raise this little man!
So that's what kind of week it's been. I hope you all had a fun New Years and pray that it will bring you all good health and happiness. My New Years challenge for myself this year is to remember to make more time and a solid effort to nurture the friendships I have with my loved ones and to try to create as many new ones as I can. I think I've got my work cut out for me!!
I love you all! TTYL!

4 comments:

Jennie said...

I am a faithful reader and I am glad you are back...those quilts make me itchin' to do one...once school is done, I will be coming your way!! :) It was good to see you at the movie. And thanks for the yummy treat!

Anonymous said...

Yeah!!! I have been checking regularly for an update and was thrilled to see it! I'm sending the link to my fam. You're a great teacher Lori! :) See you soon!

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

A rag quilt is a perfect first quilt-piecing and quilting all at the same time. Glad you are happy teaching. I am a teacher myself. Nothing better than helping new quilters along. It's the best hobby in the world...you are leaving a warm legacy. Don't forget the label on back.

Fiona said...

It was sooooo much fun (ok, not all the time, but most of the time). Thanks again for your help. Obviously couldn't have done it without you. Hope after my math fiasco the other night you won't be scared off of continuing to help me. :) What was I on? Crazy! I like to keep us on our toes. hee hee